Monday, February 4, 2013

Great moments in the history of Bluegrass


EXT, PORCH, NORTH CAROLINA FARMHOUSE - DAY
Arthur “Guitar Boogie” Smith noodles away at the banjo. The tune he plays? “Dueling Banjos.” British director John Boorman appears.

Boorman: Hello, mate.
Smith: Hey.
Boorman: Nice tune.
Smith: I guess.
Boorman: Say. Ever read Deliverance...? Splendid novel by that James Dickey fellow. Poet, normally. But it's quite the ripping yarn.
Smith: Uh. No?
Boorman: Splendid. Well. To get straight to the point, I should like to buy the rights to your jolly tune. For filmic purposes.
Smith: Beg pardon?
Boorman: I wish to make “Dueling Banjos” the symbol of forcible male buggery for all tiime.
Smith: What? Sorry. I didn't catch that.
Boorman: I'll pay you a great deal of money to use your song in my next film.
Smith: Oh. Well, that's OK, man. Sure.
Boorman: Here's a check. See? I'm writing it.
Smith: Thanks, man.

No comments:

Post a Comment