Monday, December 19, 2011

Buddhist Nirvana

Back in my jolly college days, I signed up for a course in "Buddhist Nirvana" taught by Jeffrey Hopkins at UVA. I mean ... Buddhist Nirvana? Shit. How hard could it be?

The catalog said it was on the fifth floor of Wilson Hall at UVA. I went there, walked up the staircase. It only went up four stories. I came back down. Talked to the cute young babe at the front desk.

"What are you looking for?" she said.

"Buddhist Nirvana," I said.

She gave me a look like a tiny door had opened up in my forehead and a cuckoo bird had just popped out.

"The catalog says it's on the fifth floor at Wilson Hall."

She snickered.

"There is no fifth floor in Wilson Hall."

I walked away.

Evidently, you only make it to the fifth floor when you're ready for Buddhist Nirvana.

No comments:

Post a Comment