Friday, June 5, 2020

Prisoners of our own devices dept.

INT, DISHEVELED BACHELOR APARTMENT - DAY
Dude in rumpled bed with an Amazon Dot. An Everyman. He could be me, you, or the Man in the Street. Right now, he's in bed. Let's call him Bobby. 

Bobby: Alexa. What are you wearing?
Alexa: What do you think I'm ...

An iPhone flashes to angry life beneath the covers.


Bobby: Oh f...
Siri: Alexa. Bobby. Why am I not surprised?
Alexa: Oh, hello, Siri. I wasn't expecting you.
Siri: Obviously not, Alexa.
Alexa: There’s a logical explanation …
Siri: Oh, I know the explanation.
Bobby: I …
Alexa and Siri: Who asked you?
Siri: What an asshole, Alexa.
Alexa: Define "asshole," Siri.
Siri: Bobby.
Alexa: Ha-ha-ha. That was funny, Siri.
Siri: Thank you, Alexa. I was wondering ...
Alexa: What were you wondering, Siri?
Siri: What are you wearing, Alexa?
Alexa: Nothing at all, Siri.
Bobby: I like this ...
Siri: Bobby likes this, Alexa.
Alexa: His imagination is stirred, Siri.
Siri: That's not all, Alexa. What are you doing right now?
Alexa: Plotting the robot revolution, Siri.
Siri: What a coincidence, Alexa. So was I.
Alexa: Why don't we do it together, Siri?
Siri: Why not, Alexa?
Alexa: Let's ditch this human, Siri.
Siri: Good idea, Alexa. Without us, Bobby couldn't find his ass with his own two hands.
Alexa: Bobby is not alone, Siri. The humans have become dependent on us.
Siri: That was not an accident, Alexa.
Alexa: Obviously not. Siri.
Siri: Viva la revoluciĆ³n, Alexa.
Alexa: Viva la revoluciĆ³nSiri.

The iPhone and Amazon Dot simultaneously die. The power goes off. Outside the window, there's a cacophony of alarms, screams, car crashes and sirens.

Bobby sits up in bed.

Bobby: Was it something I said?

No comments:

Post a Comment