Monday, December 13, 2010

Waiting for Godot Deux

A country road. A tree. Evening. Estragon, sitting on a low mound, is trying to take off his boot. He pulls at it with both hands, panting. He gives up, exhausted, rests, tries again. As before.

Enter Vladimir.

ESTRAGON: (giving up again). Nothing to be done.

VLADIMIR: (advancing with short, stiff strides, legs wide apart). I'm beginning to come round to that opinion. All my life I've tried to put it from me, saying Vladimir, be reasonable, you …

Enter Godot.

GODOT: Well. Here I am.

VLADIMIR: What?

GODOT: I’m Godot. I’m here. What do you want?

VLADIMIR: I … I don’t know.

GODOT: You don’t know? Well what about you? Do you know?

ESTRAGON: I … yes. No. No I don’t.

GODOT: Well, this is a fine kettle of fish. Oh, shut the bloody curtain!

Curtain down. “Three Stooges” theme.

No comments:

Post a Comment